We know that intermittent fasting and the keto diet are the hottest topics that are going worldwide. But have you ever thought of combining intermittent fasting on keto diet? The keto diet follows the ketosis process and it is a low-carb diet that helps to burn the fat as quickly as possible. On the other hand, in intermittent fasting, you have to prefer meals only one time a day.
The keto diet is a short-term goal and to make it work for a longer period most people prefer both intermittent fasting and the keto diet. Let’s get to know more about intermittent fasting vs ketogenic diet.
A common understanding of intermittent fasting and keto diet
It will come with a calorie restriction and it is similar to fasting, but here you will be allowed to consume normal food during a specific period of time. It will come with different variations, but one of the most popular methods is the 16/8 method where you will eat during an eight-hour time frame before fasting for the 16 hours.
It is mainly used for weight loss, but apart from this it also comes with other benefits like reducing inflammation, improving brain functions, and controlling the blood sugar level.
The keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat, and moderate-protein eating diet, and it forces your body to rely on fat rather than converting glucose to energy. It follows the metabolic process called ketosis where your body will break the fats into ketones. The keto diet will help to achieve effective weight loss in a shorter time and help to improve many health conditions.
Can we combine intermittent fasting on keto diet?
It would be the best idea if you follow the keto diet for a shorter time, maybe a few weeks or months, but not more than 6 months. But the keto diet is the most suggested diet for diabetes and epilepsy patients where they will be eating a limited amount of carbs.
So, combining both is considered the better option, and it is easy and simple to follow. Even though intermittent fasting on keto diet won’t work for anyone still for certain people, it is the suggested one for the longer term.
How does it work?
The combination of intermittent fasting and the keto diet is not difficult, as both diets have certain advantages and disadvantages. It can be easily paired with any other diet as it simply refers to the number of fasts you keep for hours. So, intermittent fasting on keto diet will change only certain parameters and it means eating in a particular period of time.
The keto and intermittent fasting for beginners can try a 12 or 10 hour window eating period and it will come for a longer time. The most important benefits of the two diets are that it helps in quicker weight loss, and do you know how much you lose if you follow it for a certain period of time;
- The keto and intermittent fasting results 1 week will mainly involve the water loss, as you will urinate more and feel thirstier. You may lose from 1 pound to 10 pounds
- In the first week, you won’t see major fat loss, but the keto and intermittent fasting results 2 weeks will help to shed more weight but for that, you need to strictly follow the diet
- The keto and intermittent fasting results 30 days will help to shed 15 pounds and if you follow it for more than 2 months then you can see the major results
How to start?
As per the healthcare practitioners, it is not advised to start intermittent fasting and keto diet at the same time. As, both the diet will create certain changes in your body, and if both happen at the same time then it may lead to certain risks.
Choose the correct timing, and you can start delaying the breakfast, usually starting with an hour and then increasing the time. Once you got adjusted to the pattern, you can reintroduce your breakfast earlier in the day and extend the overnight fasting time.
The length of intermittent fasting on keto diet should not be more than 6 months and after that, you can make a transition to some other low-carb diet. If you are a beginner then start slowly and follow this intermittent fasting keto meal plan pdf.
- If you combine the ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting then you can reach ketosis easily
- The ketogenic diet will help to reduce the common side effects of intermittent fasting
- You will get more energy, and many people following both diets have reported that they got mental clarity and power. Due to the elevated adrenaline, productivity will increase a lot
- If you follow the diet for a longer-term, then your body doesn’t have to switch between fat and glucose to get more energy
- A poorly planned diet can lead to certain nutritional deficiencies
- If you cut the calories drastically then chances are there that you may lose too much weight or lean mass
Is it safe to follow?
Even though the keto and intermittent fasting results 1 month will bring effective change to your body still starting both at once can cause certain risks. But still, if you have more patience and commitment, and will follow the narrow way of eating, then it will make better results.
Don’t quit the carbs immediately and allow food into your diet that will release energy slowly. But if you have certain health complications, then start it under healthcare supervision.
Intermittent fasting on keto diet will help to achieve the ketosis process faster than that keto diet alone. The fasting on keto for beginners will observe faster weight loss and even it comes with many benefits as discussed below. But still, before following them, you need to consult your healthcare professional to avoid certain risks and side effects.