Are you looking for an effective way to lose weight? Then the keto diet is the most suggested one, as it not only helps you to lose weight but also helps to improve certain medical conditions such as diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s diseases.
In the keto diet, you will be consuming more calories from fat and protein only, and less from carbohydrates. But most people don’t consider such diet when it comes to the long term, as it comes with certain side risks. So, this article helps you to understand what is this diet all about and certain interesting facts about the item.
The basics of the keto diet
The ketogenic diet mainly works on the principle of depleting the carbohydrate which is the main source of energy. This will make your body burn more fats and result in weight loss. The reduction of the carbs will put your body into the metabolic state which is called ketosis.
Don’t worry about is keto diet safe as it has some health benefits and of all, it will make significant reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. In the keto diet you will see many variations and of all here are the few;
- Standard ketogenic diet or SKD diet consists of 70% of fat, 20% of protein, and 10% of carbs
- Cyclical ketogenic diet or CKD is the diet where you follow the standard ketogenic diet for 5 or 6 days in a week, followed by 1 or 2 days of high carbs consumption
- Targeted ketogenic diet or TKD will allow you to add carbs when you need especially during the workout
- High protein ketogenic diet is similar to the standard ketogenic diet but here you will consume more protein. It consists of 60% of fat, 35% of protein, and 5% of carbs
When it comes to weight loss, keto will play a significant role and many websites started to introduce dietary supplements like best health keto which will boost your metabolism and accelerate weight loss.
Do you know on the keto diet what to eat? To get the protein source go for meat, fish, seafood, tofu, and egg. Along with this choose any two low-carb vegetables.
Water, sugar, and tea without sweeteners are the perfect to drink on the keto diet, even a splash of milk or wine but not more.
What does the research says about the keto diet?
As per the research on the keto diet, it produces beneficial metabolic changes in the shorter term and along with weight loss, it also improves insulin resistance, high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol and triglycerides.
Even it is the most preferable for patients with epilepsy and type-2 diabetes. Here are some facts about the keto diet that has been found after the research;
- Decreased in food cravings because of high-fat content diet
- As we are consuming a restricted amount of carbohydrates there will be a decrease in appetite-stimulating hormone
- Increasing the conversion process of protein and fat into glucose
- Helps to promote quick weight loss when compared to any other low-carb diet by boosting the metabolism and reducing the appetite
- Eating food that has no processed and refined carbohydrates will improve your skin health. In some people, the keto diet has reduced the acne symptoms
- The ketogenic diet will help to prevent or cure certain types of cancers. The diet is even safe for people who have undergone chemotherapy and radiation treatment
- If you consume the healthy fats in the keto diet, it will improve heart health by reducing the cholesterol levels
- The keto diet comes with neuroprotective benefits, it will strengthen and protect the brain nerve cells
- The keto diet is the most recommendable for epilepsy patients as it will reduce seizures in children
- Even though there is not much evidences of ketosis on PCOS still it will improve the symptoms such as weight loss, hormonal balance, and others
The keto diet comes with a lot of disadvantages and risks, as if you add more than 7% of saturated fats to your daily calorie then it will lead to heart disease. Here are some of the potential keto risks;
- The keto diet restricts certain vegetables and fruits which are rich in carbs and this will cause nutritional deficiency. It may risk you in the deficiency of micro-nutrients such as selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin B and C
- You have to consume so much fat, and this may worsen your liver condition
- As there is an increase in the level of protein, the kidney will find it difficult to metabolize the protein resulting in the kidney problems
- The keto diet is low in fibrous food so you will have constipation
- To properly function your brain there is more need of carbohydrates and sugar, and keto diet will cause fuzzy thinking and mood swings
Even though you know what is the keto diet all about, still the keto diet for beginners will be difficult and they will end up making common mistakes. So, here are the mistakes that you should avoid;
- The keto diet is all about consuming more fat, but overeating fats may prevent your body from using the stored fat in your body
- We will be eating more nuts and dairy products as they are keto-friendly but this will increase the level of calorie
- People get an unusual fear of eating more protein as it will increase your blood sugar level, but not to worry as it has little effect on the blood sugar
- Your blood ketone level should be 0.5 and 3.0 mmol/L during the ketosis, but this doesn’t mean that the higher ketone level will promote faster weight loss
Even after knowing what is the keto diet all about, still there are people who are more concerned about safety. Every low carb diet will come with a certain risk so they are considered the best for a short-term goal. If you are undergoing any medication or have any health disorder then it is advised to consult a healthcare professional before following the diet.